Gratitude – what a powerful concept it is! It’s essential to the most successful people in the world, and it should be important to you as well.
The key to gratitude is this:
- Let go, and stop worrying about what you don’t have.
- Switch your focus to what you do have.
When you acknowledge what you’re thankful for, you open new doors of opportunity. Showing gratitude is easy.
Practice and express your gratitude with:
- A simple thank you.
- A kind smile.
- A tip when at a restaurant.
- Recognition toward an employee.
- A letter.
- A handshake.
Gratitude appears in all sorts of ways, but the action itself is effortless to express. It only takes a second to say thank you, and mean it.
GET MY SHORT VERSION OF
THE 18 PRINCIPLES TO SUCCESS
According to Forbes, gratitude has been linked to improving physical and psychological health, along with increased happiness and decreased depression, higher self-esteem, and confidence in the workplace. Something as simple as a “thank you”, which constitutes good manners and shows appreciation can help you win new friends.
Gratitude opens the doors to new relationships; this includes acknowledging a stranger for holding the door open, or writing a quick thank you note to a co-worker.
You can easily flip the switch and power up the gratitude mindset – start internally and feel gratitude for:
- Your gifts.
- Your accomplishments.
It is not selfish or egotistical but essential to practice gratitude. No matter how insignificant, there are plenty of aspects of your daily life you can show gratitude toward, including:
- A beautiful sunny day.
- A stress-free drive to work.
- A happy barista at your favorite coffee shop.
- A discount on your lunch.
Homeless to Billionaire
I invite you to choose a time at the end of each day to spend 10 minutes focusing on practicing gratitude. It’s essential to reflect on your day, experience the gratitude, and let these thoughts seep into your subconscious as you fall asleep.
Six easy steps to gratitude:
- Spend 10 minutes thinking about your day, the events, your feelings toward the experiences, and what tomorrow holds for you.
- Focus on small things first that you can be thankful for, like finding a good parking spot at the grocery store, being able to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, someone holding the door open for you, or even that you went to the gym and worked out.
- As you become aware of all the little things you are grateful for, start to verbalize them, “I am grateful for the person who showed kindness when holding the door open for me. I am grateful that person saw me as deserving of kindness.” Or “I am grateful I had the willpower to go to the gym today and honor my health and body. I am grateful for the energy to work out and thankful I am focusing on my health so I can live my best life.”
TAKE THE FIRST STEP TO SUCCESS
GET THE GOAL-SETTING GUIDE & WORKSHEET
- Next, spend time focusing on bigger things you are grateful for in your life; a special relationship, a big business deal, the chance to travel, a positive health diagnosis, your children, or a new opportunity.
- As you become aware of all the big things you are grateful for, start to verbalize them, “I am grateful for my significant other and how I can express love and receive love from this person unconditionally. I am thankful this person sees the best in me so I can also see the best in me.” Or “I am grateful this business deal happened and how rewarding it feels to be able to provide new opportunities for my company, co-workers, and clients. I’m thankful my co-workers share my vision and help me lead so we can all prosper together.”
- Finally, review your gratitude and ask the Universe to acknowledge your appreciation, small and big. Spend a few moments thinking about how you feel after expressing what you are grateful for that day.
When you practice daily gratitude, the Universe will give you more to be thankful for and recognize you are sincerely grateful for what life has given you. The Universe recognizes these positive feelings you radiate and brings more positive vibrations into your life. When this happens, you can expect miracles.
I learned much about gratitude when I was given the gift of this book, The Secret. It changed my life. I invite you to embrace the knowledge this book offers, and practice its teachings. It will change your life, too, just as it has changed so many.
The basic principle is this – Be thankful for everything you have in life, no matter big or small, be open to receiving, and be grateful for even more.
I would love to hear your feedback in the comment section below.
About Andres Pira – philanthropist, real estate tycoon, author, speaker, and global citizen. Andres Pira enjoys living in Thailand, where his journey began from Homeless to Billionaire.
Are you interested in free coaching? Click here to learn more.